CHRONIC DISEASE SELF- MANAGMENT is a small group workshop that meets for 2.5 hours weekly for 6 weeks. Designed for people with different chronic health conditions as well as care givers.
Participants make weekly action plans, share experiences, and help each other solve problems they encounter in creating and carrying out thier self-management program.
Subjects taught include:
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation.
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Appropriate use of medications
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- Decision making
- How to evaluate treatments